Friday, January 23, 2015

Torn

Psalm 27:8, 2 Corinthians 10:4

Dear God,

The responsibilities of leadership tug at me from a host of directions.  Pressures from board members, the executive team, employees, and constituents advancing their own priorities and perspectives pull me.  Protect me from the false flattery of pandering to special interest.

Often, I feel torn and pulled.  One special interest group pleads for a hard line.  Another appeals to mercy and generosity.  A third asks, “What will people think?”  “How will it look?”

I find myself wanting to create a centered, reasoned response that accounts for the concerns from each constituency I am serving.  I know that compromise is not necessarily a dirty word., but my desire transcends pleasing people.  Help me to compromise on methods, and to be unshakeable on mission and message.

Center me in You.  Help me to stay on the cross, crucified with Christ.  Prevent me from being deceived into thinking that leadership is about me.  Protect me from self-serving and self-saving.  All too quickly, a discussion of ideas can deteriorate into a battle of personalities.  Preserve me from being deceived into implementing carnal weapons to advance a spiritual cause.  Purge me that my motives are filled with You, and cleansed of advancing myself.

Grant me a bravery of leadership that has a clear eye and a laser-like focus.  I want to see the goal You have for my organization and to lead the team with crystalline direction.  Grant me a vision that clearly sees the end result that You want.  Inspire within me the strength and methods to advance Your vision.  Help me to stick with that!  I don’t want to be swayed by opinions, words, approval, or disapproval of others.  Strengthen the resolve of my will to pursue the vision that You have impressed upon me, without straying or varying from the clarion call of Your Spirit.  

I want to live a transparent life with a sincere character.  I want to walk with You led by a clear moral compass of conscience, informed by Your Word, sensitized by the Holy Spirit.  Slay any selfish motivation in me that would infect Your vision with self-interest.  Grant me the steadfast endurance of courage.

In the Name of My Courageous Lord Jesus Christ,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment