Friday, January 2, 2015

CT Studd learned to trust God

Kinlaw on CT Studd

"C.T. Studd and his missionary team lived deep enough in the interior of Africa that their mail only came every two weeks.  Their existence depended on the money that was in that mail, so its arrival was always an event.  C.T. Studd was master of ceremonies at the opening of the mail.  He made it quite a ritual.

"One fortnight there was a pleasing amount of money in the mail.  Studd's comment was 'Bless God forever!  He knows what a bunch of grumblers we are.  He has sent us enough to keep us quiet.'  Another fortnight the amount was quite small.  Studd's comment was, 'Hallelujah!  We must be growing in grace.  He thinks we are learning to trust Him.'  One fortnight there was nothing.  Grubb (Norman Grubb was C.T. Studd's son-in-law and missionary colleague in the heart of Africa) said that the missionaries gathered around Studd, waited, wondering what he would say.  They were not disappointed.  He lifted up his voice in a shout, 'Hallelujah!  Praise God forever!  We are in the kingdom already, for in the kingdom there is neither eating nor drinking, but righteousness, joy, and peace in the Holy Ghost'

"Some would think Studd's faith was reckless.  I suspect, though, that he had a special place in the heart of God because he dared to expect God to be faithful to His promises."

From Kinlaw, This Day with the Master, December 1.

Dear God,

Teach me to trust You like the great saints who have gone before me.  They risked much for You, and seemed to have a trust in You that matched their risk.  You have called me to risk everything for a cause You have birthed, Wesley Biblical Seminary.  I am often tempted to fear.  I am choosing to trust You.  Make me a man of faith and trust through the adversities, setbacks, and disappointments I face.  As we experience growing success for Your glory, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of my Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me and I unto the world."
In the Name of my trustworthy Savior and Lord,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment