Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pleasing People

Matthew 26, John 6

Dear Jesus,

I love You, Lord.  Thank You for Your creative power that gives me life.  Thank You for the gift of people and relationships.  I love people.  I find myself energized as I spend time with others.  I thank You for the privilege of leading people in fulfilling Your Great Commission on earth.  I thank You for the joy of helping to prepare people to spend eternity with You.

Thank You for the privilege of leading a team of great people.  I enjoy the opportunity to seek to harness their resources and get them pulling in the same direction of our mission.

I want to lead happy, fulfilled people.  Sometimes, I find myself expressing the sentiment, “I want to make people happy.”  I understand the obvious flaws in such a notion.  I realize that “You can’t make everybody happy” is more than cliche, but I still want to lead a team of happy people who find fulfillment in their work.

However, I must remember that You did not always make people happy.  You did not make the Scribes and Pharisees happy with Your transcendence above their man-made rules.  You did not make the Sadducees happy with Your emphasis upon the resurrection, and then You did it!  You did not make the masses happy when You started talking about sacrifice and the cross.  You did not make Your own disciples happy when You went to the cross, shattering their illusions about what You came to earth to accomplish.

Happiness is fleeting.  It is so conditioned upon environmental circumstances.  Help me to lead people past the temporal notions of happiness to achieve something great for Your Glory.  I want to lead people to a deep fulfillment and joy found in serving a mission of eternal consequence.  Help me to make the tough decisions even when they sacrifice temporary happiness.   Help me to maintain a laser-like focus on the mission to which You have called me.  Help me to lead with enthusiasm, vigor, courage, and boldness.  Help me shun toxic management strategies that yield temporary gain and long-term organizational dysfunction.  May I refuse to diminish another colleague or predecessor in order to advance myself.   Give me a gracious appreciation for all who have gone before me or come alongside me to advance the mission You have called me to serve.  Help me to lead with a fearless perfect love that flows from the abiding Presence of the Holy Spirit filling and consuming my life.

Help me to remember that You are the One I must please.  Regardless of how others perceive me or my leadership, help me to please You, and make You happy.

In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment