Monday, January 12, 2015

Kentucky Missionaries and the Bourbon Trail

I grew up in a Christian home mission setting that took a very strong stand on total abstinence from beverage alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs. I even joined the Loyal Temperance Legion, the children’s division of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU), as an eight year old child and took a pledge to abstain from the aforementioned personal and societal evils.

One of my longtime colleagues and friends recently wrote me that the President of the Kentucky Mountain Bible College, where we had worked together, Dr. Philip Speas, asked her to find some "interesting places for our KMHA senior citizens to take a trip now and then--within reasonable distance."

Her story continues: "We went to the Creation Museum (Petersburg, KY) in December for their Christmas lights display and programs. I've been searching for something indoors during this cold weather. I finally told him I found a great idea. The most popular thing being advertised right now is the Kentucky Bourbon Trail! Now wouldn't that be something we've never done before? Something brand new is always exciting. Right? Well, it certainly gave him a laugh. He even suggested Miss Henrietta Griffith (long-time leader in local, state and national WCTU organizations) lead the excursion!"

I laughed loudly in my office as I read this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment