Saturday, January 17, 2015

Time

Psalm 90:12, Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

Lord Jesus,

The pressures of leadership are great.  The competition for my time is fierce.  I find myself longing for more time in Your Presence.  Each day when I wait before You, the tyranny of the urgent murmurs incessantly in the background, crying for my attention.  Help me to shut everything out, but You.  Help me to encounter You authentically, sincerely, and meaningfully.  I need that sort of intimacy and quiet in order to be whole and complete as I face the day.

Help me to live a well-balanced, complete life.  All too often, it seems that my work consumes me. My role as a leader and team-builder stretches well past an eight hour day and a 5 day work week. My smart phone is my ball and chain, tethering me to the temporal.  I neurotically check my e-mail, interrupting quiet moments with family, grandchildren, and even You.  My wife glares at me.  Do You?

It seems as if there is never enough time to accomplish the tasks related to my job.  Help me to remember that “There is enough time in each day to do God’s Will.”  Grant me the sensitivity to know Your Divine priorities.

I find myself questioning my worth of the executive salary and benefits I receive.  In order to validate these privileges of leadership, I work harder.  I allow work to encroach into private moments of my life.  Teach me to shut it off.  Teach me to unplug.  As I do, You will refresh me in Your Presence and make me better for the tomorrow’s tasks.

Teach me to be fully available in the moment to You, to my wife, to my children, my grandchildren, my siblings, my elderly parents, and people you have called me to serve.

Exhausted by the day, a few moments of mindless media often anesthetize my mind and emotions, but what I am seeking is not numbness.  I am seeking rest.   Teach me to rest in You.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment