Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Solving Problems

Proverbs 16:9

Dear God,

Today, I am facing some problems that seem to demand a solution. My mind has been spinning with analysis and plans. In my Quiet Place, You convicted me of how wrong I have been.  Simultaneously, conviction and rest entered my mind.  I knew that You had just whispered the solution to me.  I must simply trust You.

I once heard someone define stress as “mental rehearsal.”  I know that I have a tendency to over plan and over prepare on many things.  I recognize that my speculation about the future is my attempt to manage everything. I am trying to control the future through mental rehearsal and planning.  I find that all of my speculation yields an artificially constructed future state that rarely exists in the way I had imagined.  I find myself spending great amounts of energy planning and responding to an imagined reality that never really exists.  I plan for contingencies upon contingencies that never materialize.

The results of my speculative failure to control the future are stress, a loss of peace, mental exhaustion, strained relationships, and a diminished faith in You.  My spinning, speculative, solution-seeking mind thinks I have a grasp on the situation.  Then, something happens that I failed to predict.  All of my plans have gone awry.  As Robert Burns penned, “The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.”

Lord, how much effort and energy I might have saved by simply trusting You explicitly, completely, and always?  My intention has never been idolatry, self-sufficiency, or doubt.  My motive is always to please You and bring You glory.  Even in the planning, the preparation, and pondering solutions to the problems I face.

Is it possible that my extensive plans and preparation are, in part, my way of reducing Your size?  Am I trying to scale You down to a size that I can manage?  Oh, God, forgive me for imagining You to be too small to manage my problems!  My perception of You is too small.

Now I realize that I must speculate less and trust You more.  I ask You to forgive me for trying to control things rather than consecrating them to You.   I choose to seek Your peace, Lord, and to trust You with today and all it holds.  Grant me the poise and grace to face the situations of today with dignity, love, and kindness.  I need You.  I love You.  I trust You.

In the Name of my Lord and Savior who is big enough to handle my problems,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment