Friday, December 11, 2015

Righteous Praise!

Psalm 146

1 Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord, O my soul!
2 While I live I will praise the Lord; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.

3 Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.
4 His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish.

5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever,
7 Who executes justice for the oppressed, Who gives food to the hungry. The Lord gives freedom to the prisoners.

8 The Lord opens the eyes of the blind; The Lord raises those who are bowed down; The Lord loves the righteous.
9 The Lord watches over the strangers; He relieves the fatherless and widow; But the way of the wicked He turns upside down.

10 The Lord shall reign forever—Your God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the Lord!


Lord God,

In an age when fear abounds on every side, I choose to praise You.  The Psalmist points me to praise You even when my surroundings invoke  paralyzing fear and not perfect praise.  I need that.

You remind me that political powers and authorities are not worthy targets of trust.  We are in an election season in my country.  Would be national leaders often serve as fear mongers, stirring up the passions of the people.  Others seek to narcotize the nation with empty prosperity promises.  My hope is not in princes or politicians.  People will fail me.  People die, and their plans die with them.

Happiness is found in right relationship with You.  A true and worthy personal identity is only possible as it is derived from living in relational intimacy and communion with You.  You form and inform my identity!  

You are the only wise and only just God.  Our culture screams for "social justice." You never promise "social justice."  You offer a much stronger, holy, true version.  You offer "righteous justice!"  You provide liberating justice for those bound in the prison house of sin, and place us on a trajectory of hope in You!  

Blindness becomes sight.  Humiliation is transformed to exaltation.  Sinfulness is replaced with holiness and righteousness.  You reign.  You reign forever.

You are the basis for righteous praise!  So I praise Your Name!  I worship You, my Lord and my God.  You are worthy.

In Your most exalted Name, 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment