Saturday, December 26, 2015

I GOTTA TELL SOMEBODY

John 1:35-42, Isaiah 53:7, I Corinthians 15:3b, Hebrews 9:28a, I Peter 1:18-19, Revelation 5:12

Precious Lamb of God, my Lord Jesus,

I have always been amazed at John the Baptist’s recognition of you and his accompanying proclamation "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" Once he knew, John had to tell somebody.

35 years ago, I enjoyed my first visit to Chicago, Illinois. Chicago is a great city. A big city. Big buildings, big history, and big traditions. I remember walking down the streets with college friends. Every new sight, sound, and smell, evoked the same response. We’d poke one another in the ribs, and point. "Look at that!" The gaze inevitably took us upward, as we craned our necks to look at the towers above us. "Look at that! What a sight!" Once we had seen a new, awe-inspiring sight we had to tell someone.

Once John had gazed upon You–the Lamb of God–self was entirely diminished. John did not look at his own reflection, he beheld the Lamb of God. The selfless John referred his disciples to follow You, the Lamb of God.

The Lamb of God. Abel offered the best lamb of his flock as an acceptable sacrifice. Moses offered the Passover Lamb as a sacrifice in Egypt. The Hebrew tabernacle and temple offered the lamb as a sacrifice. Every lamb ever offered pointed to You–the Lamb of God–who would take away the sin of the world. No more lambs ever needed to be slaughtered as a sacrifice for sin. You paid the final price.

Andrew was the first to go and tell. His elder brother, Simon Peter, must know You. The news swept through families and villages.

I remember when my friend David was first saved. David was a 29 year-old alcoholic, running from a call to preach. When You transformed him, David had to tell his brothers Mike, Ab, Harold, and Jim. They had to know Jesus, and David had to tell somebody. David introduced his brother Mike to You, and then You swept through their entire family.

"Behold the Lamb of God." Jesus, Your story is an age-old story, yet fresh as the moment I behold You this morning. I gaze upon You now. I follow You today and beyond. I tell others what I see! Thank You. I am desperate to tell someone today. I need to make some introductions.

In the Name of my Redeemer,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment