Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Christmas Wishbook

I grew up on the campus of Mount Carmel Christian High School near Jackson, Kentucky.  Mom and Dad were dorm supervisors.  We lived in an apartment in the boys dorm.  My brother, James, and I were only twenty months apart.  Mom liked to dress us like twins.  The only problem was, that by James’ second birthday, he was bigger than I.  Today, he stands eight inches taller, and serves as the Shelby County, Kentucky, Superintendent of Schools.  James and I loved roaming the campus, the nearby woods, and Mill Creek.  The only thing missing from our mountaineer adventures was a gun!

All Fall we scoured the Sears & Roebuck Christmas Wishbook.  We dog-eared pages and circled precious items in our wish list.  This year, we both wanted Daisy BB guns.  Mom and Dad were full-time volunteers in a home mission ministry.  I don’t know how they pulled together the resources, but I know that they scrimped, sacrificed,  and saved so that they could bless us children with a memorable Christmas.  The long boxes enticed and excited us on Christmas morning.  We tore off the paper, and pulled free the metal staples.  Out slid our BB guns.  One for James, and a second for John. 

I treasure those precious Christmas memories.  I treasure the memories of sitting on Dad’s lap as he read the Christmas story.  The gifts, the giving, the love, the warmth, and always an emphasis upon our Lord Jesus Christ, God’s greatest gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment