Wednesday, November 4, 2015

"Oh, I Just Can't Wait to be King!"

Revelation 1:4-6 "Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, 6 and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."

Revelation 5:9-10  “You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.”

Revelation 20:6 "Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years."

Exodus 19:6 "And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel."

Dear God,

I just read Your declaration that faithful believers shall be afforded kingship in Your kingdom. Everyone has an idea of what they would do with a little bit of power and authority. Even Simba, in the Lion King, sang "Oh, I just can't wait to be king!"

You promise kingship and priestly responsibility to Your faithful followers.  But it seems that they have to die for You first!  Martyrdom appears to be a prerequisite for promotion to power.  

"In Christ even the most ordinary man becomes a king.  The gift of access to God, the privilege of bring others to Jesus Christ, the gift of royalty--these are the gifts which Jesus Christ gives to His own" (William Barclay in The Revelation of John, vol. 2, 1959, p. 248).

Lord, I don't know if I have the "right stuff" to become a martyr for You.  I know that I don't have the grace to suffer persecution and die for You at this moment, but I feel You growing that kind of grace within me.  Prepare me for that moment if it ever comes.  If I know my heart and the witness of Your Holy Spirit, I have experienced a spiritual death to self.  "I am crucified with Christ" (Galatians 2:20). Surely, that awareness is the beginning of my journey into the intimacy of the fellowship of Your suffering.

Prepare me for priesthood.  Prepare me for kingship.  Prepare me to come into Your Presence in the courts of heaven, and to usher others therein.  Make me like You in my character so that I am at home in Your Presence.

I love You.  I need You.  I am utterly dependent upon You.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment