Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Thankful Communion--Part 1

Matthew 26:26-30
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”
27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
30 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Starting in 2000, I began making my way to Bentleyville Holiness Camp Meeting in Bentleyville, Pennsylvania. There, I served as youth evangelist for seven years. One of the highlights of working with those 30-50 middle school and high school age campers came on their final night of the camp–Saturday night, the ninth day of camp meeting.

Throughout the week, I loved those young people. I prayed with them, wept with them, counseled them, played with them. On that final night we gathered around the bonfire for the final time. I led them in a song, read some scripture, exhorted briefly, and prayed. Then we lit candles. First, mine. Then theirs. All around the circle the candles glimmered beneath the July skies.

Once illuminated, we began the uphill trek to the main part of the campground. I led the way. The campers and counselors followed. The adult campers were seated on the porches of their camp meeting cottages as the column of candle lit young people passed by. A holy hush was everywhere.

We made our way to the hillside next to the old open air tabernacle. White sheets were laid out on the lawn, forming the shape of a cross. I stood at the head of the cross. The young people surrounded its outline. I read the scripture, prayed, and pronounced a simple liturgy. Another minister assisted as we distributed the timeless elements of bread and wine, the symbols of our Lord’s Body and Blood. We partook together. I prayed. I thanked God for the spiritual results of the camp in the lives of the campers. I prayed for them as they returned home. I prayed for their discipleship, their families, their schools, and their churches.

Some knelt on the edge of the white cross on the ground. Others stood. Silent, or weeping softly, each was caught up in the wonder of Holy Communion with our risen Lord. After the final "Amen," some lingered behind 30, even 40 minutes, praying.

I love the Lord’s Supper. I love His Table. I love the Body of Christ. 

In the Lord's Supper, Jesus is telling his disciples "that every time they sit down to satisfy their hunger and to eat a meal, that meal is in memory of Him.  For Jesus is not only Lord of the Communion Table; He must be Lord of the dinner table too"  (William Barclay in The Gospel of Matthew, vol. 2, p. 378).  Jesus must be Lord of all of my life... and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment