Saturday, February 7, 2015

When I am exhausted, God shows up

I Kings 19:1-18

Dear God,

I am exhausted.  I have experienced some incredible spiritual highs.  Right now?  Not so much.  I am physically, spiritually, and mentally exhausted.  My emotions are raw.  My spiritual bumper feels paper thin.  If I crash, I will have a lot of damage.  I feel alone, forgotten, isolated, and forsaken.  I need You to show up in my life now!

Perhaps my exhaustion is a result of going too hard and fast for too long.  Life, work, the pursuit of comfort and ease, materialism, debt and demanding pressures have trapped and squeezed me to the point of exhaustion.  My priorities are distorted.  I need You to show up!

Perhaps I have neglected the resource of rest.  I have tried to carve more time out of each day by burning the candle at both ends.  I am up early and out of the house.  I work late, even into the evening, sometimes falling into bed in the wee hours.  I find myself moaning, “If I only had more time.”  Then I hear an old friend whispering in my ear, “There is enough time in every day to do God’s will!”  I need You to show up!

Perhaps I have ignored my time with You.  Life has wedged me tightly into demanding roles and responsibilities that leave little time for much else.  The tyranny of the urgent insistently clamors for attention, while You linger somewhere in the hovering shadows–just where I have neglectfully pushed You.  I need You to show up!

Perhaps I have been fighting incredible spiritual warfare.  I had to take a stand for right!  My taking a stand catapulted me into the public eye.  Everyone now seems to have an opinion about my non-political correctness!  Spiritual assaults are being launched at me from every direction.  People I once thought to be my friends are sabotaging me with harsh criticism.  The assault is in earnest.  Protect me!  Defend me!  I am exhausted.  I need You to show up!

I am doing good things, God!

What’s that?

But I am neglecting the best?

I choose to seek You.  I love You. I must connect with You.  I need You.  I need You to show up!

Humbly,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment