Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Be Perfect

Matthew 5:43-48, Luke 15:11-32, Romans 12:9-21, I John 3:1-23

Precious God and Father of all,

I am breathless with wonder at Your love!  You love Your Creation.  You even treasure those who have rebelled against You, calling all to repentance and faith.  You love me.

The optimism of Your grace stirs and amazes me.  You never give up on any who have turned their backs and stiffened their necks against You.  Your love is everlasting.  And You call us to Your kind of love, an "unconquerable benevolence."

I find myself like the elder brother of the prodigal just begging You to give up on people.  "Rebels aren't worth it!  They will never come back!  Don't waste your time or Your love pining for their return!"  Not you.  You are love--unconquerable love.

William Barclay tells a rabbinical legend of the destruction of the Egyptian army in the Red Sea as they pursued the fleeing Hebrews, only to be covered by the returning flood waters.  The tale recounts that upon the drowning of the Egyptians, the heavenly angelic choir burst out with praise. You sorrowfully rebuked them saying, "The work of my hands are sunk in the sea, and you would sing before me!"  (Barclay, Matthew vol. 1, p. 175).

Oh, the unending nature of Your love!  Your enduring love never relinquishes.  You never give up! You actually believe that people are never finished!  You love me that way.  Thank you.

But You are not done loving until You have shaped Your likeness of perfection in Your Creation. You call me to Your kind of love--perfection!  You frighten me with what seems to be an impossible demand.  But upon closer examination I realize that You are calling me to become a more complete and authentic version of the "me" You made me to be... more complete than I could ever imagine.

I think I am getting a glimpse of the perfection to which You are calling me.  You are calling me to "a universal benevolence," an "unconquerable goodwill, this constant seeking of the highest good of every man" (Barclay, p. 176).  You are calling me not to a perfection of performance, a failure-free existence, but to perfect love.  This is the only perfection You require of Your follower.

Oh my God, I want to live out this perpetual forgiving love that sacrifices myself for the sake of others, friend or foe alike.  I want to care as You care.  I want to forgive as You forgive.  I want to endure rejection and even persecution if that is what You privilege me to face for You.  I want to live out the optimism of grace that characterizes Your very nature.  I want to embrace Your perfect love until Your likeness penetrates and permeates my character.  I want to be like You.  Then I can be complete--more authentically human than ever before.  I don't fear to ask for this sort of Christian perfection.

In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the only author of perfect love,
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment