Thursday, August 4, 2016

"For such a time as THIS."

Esther 4:14
I Corinthians 1:27-31

Dear God,

I am pondering the challenge of living in this world today. Police shootings, social chaos, family upheaval, the decline of order, political candidates without character, and a total loss of civility in our national discourse. We live in challenging times.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote from a German prison in the latter months of World War II: "I can only say that I have no wish to live in another time than our own, even though it is so inconsiderate of our outward well-being."

Bonhoeffer was executed, a martyr for his faith in Christ, on April 9, 1945. One short month later, on May 8, 1945, V-E Day was declared. The Allied forces had defeated the demonic Third Reich.

These words of Bonhoeffer call to mind the words of Mordecai to Esther: " For if you remain completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14).

You blessed those words of Mordecai to my mother when she was carrying me in her womb. They are ever with me as Your banner over my life, motivating, challenging, inspiring, and warning me. Thank you for the promise and hope I find in them.

This morning I am pondering the words of Paul to the Corinthian Church: "For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— that, as it is written, 'He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.'" (I Corinthians 1:26-31).

So, I confess to You that I don't feel terrifically wise, significant, or important. But I know I am called. I know that You do the calling. Certain that I furnish weakness, I depend upon Your strength. Certain of my baseness, I assert Your glory. I trust Your righteousness, sanctification, and redemption to be all of the glory I need today. 

I love You. I worship You. I praise You, and thank You.  I will serve... "for such a time as this."

In the Name of my ever-living Lord,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment