Thursday, July 21, 2016

Will You Boldly Contend?

Last week, I was deeply saddened to learn of the celebration of the first openly gay bishop's election to leadership in the United Methodist Church.

I sat down on a green-painted wooden bench on a camp meeting campus recently.  I introduced myself, and found I was speaking to an 88 year old retired United Methodist minister.  We began chatting about the recent developments in the denomination to which he has given his life in ministry.  Very quickly I discerned his position. I was astonished when this balding, stooped elderly clergyman said, "We have to rethink our position on human sexuality." Our conversation was cut short by the expected arrival of a friend. 

I have reflected upon that conversation, the condition of the church of Jesus Christ, the nation, and the movement that birthed my faith. I have wondered how I can boldly contend for the faith in a culture where our conversations all too often become contentious. 

Anger seems to define our discourse in America. Reactive anger will not advance a Biblical agenda. Anger will not advance a call to holiness. Anger will simply afford media an opportunity to label the angry as haters, not holy. I want a bold courage, filled with perfect love, from which I contend for faith in Jesus Christ with a passion for lost people to be converted, and Christ's church to be made holy. Bold courage and self-giving love is Christ's mandate to us.

I recently read of Dr. Oliveto's appointment to the position of bishop in the Western Jurisdictional Conference of the United Methodist Church. Rev. Dr. Karen Oliveto served as senior pastor of Glide Memorial United Methodist Church in San Francisco, California. The church website describes Dr. Oliveto's professional journey.

"Originally from Long Island, NY, Karen Oliveto has been a campus and parish minister in rural and urban settings in New York and California. She arrived in San Francisco in 1989, first as campus minister at San Francisco State University, and then, in 1992, as the pastor and leader of Bethany United Methodist Church in Noe Valley. While there, she expanded the congregation, and was instrumental in the effort to open the doors of the United Methodist Church to all persons, including gays and lesbians and their families. Oliveto holds a Ph.D. in Religion and Society from Drew University, and recently served as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at Pacific School of Religion where she continues as adjunct professor of United Methodist Studies. She is also an adjunct professor at Drew University’s Doctor of Ministry program." http://www.glide.org/pastors

Dr. J. C. McPheeters was pastor of Glide Memorial Methodist Church in San Francisco, California from 1930 to 1948. He also served as President of Asbury Theological Seminary from 1942 to 1962. 

I chatted recently with Dr. Timothy Tennent, current President of Asbury Theological Seminary, in Wilmore, KY.  Dr. Tennent was speaking at a historically Methodist camp meeting in Georgia. I was visiting there for a few days, representing Wesley Biblical Seminary, where I serve as President. 

Dr. Tennent told me that in the first 6 years of Dr. McPheeters presidency at Asbury Theological Seminary, he continued as pastor of Glide Memorial Methodist Church in San Francisco.  Dr. McPheeters was provided with a Buick in which he traversed the United States of America. Along the way, McPheeters made many friends for Asbury Theological Seminary. Dr. Tennent told me that he still visits that scattered western circuit of friends along the well-traveled paths of his predecessor. 

When I heard the breaking news of the Oliveto election, I recognized the name, Glide Memorial United Methodist Church; however, it took me a few days to realized how much the Glide name had already impacted my life.  I have to tell you my story, in order to make my point.

Beth and I courted for 3 years before we married, our last year of courtship was our first year at Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky.  When we enrolled at Asbury, Beth moved into Glide-Crawford Hall. Lizzie Glide was the sanctified Methodist benefactor who established this dormitory for women at Asbury College in 1921. She was the same Lizzie Glide who had established Glide Memorial Methodist Church in San Francisco in 1929. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ggsnider&id=I0134

I grew up in the home mission work of the Kentucky Mountain Holiness Association, a ministry of churches in schools in Eastern Kentucky. Rev. Lela G. McConnell founded the Kentucky Mountain Holiness Association in 1924. McConnell graduated from Asbury College on June 2, 1924 at the age of 40. Dr. Henry Clay Morrison's commencement commission was still ringing in her ears when she boarded the train in Nicholasville, bound for Jackson, Kentucky: "I give this diploma to the general of the Kentucky mountains."  

Bound by the Holy Spirit and a divine call from God, Dr. McConnell accepted the challenge of a frontier ministry in the foothills of the Appalachians. "But the mountain shall be thine; for it is a wood, and thou shalt cut it down: and the outgoings of it shall be thine: for thou shalt drive out the Canaanites, though they have iron chariots, and though they be strong" (Joshua 17:18). She established a legacy that lives today.

In 1949, my father, John Eldon Neihof, Sr., enrolled at Dr. McConnell's Mount Carmel High School as a freshman. He graduated from Mount Carmel (1953) and her sister institution, Kentucky Mountain Bible Institute (1956). My mother, Agnes Creed Neihof, enrolled as a junior at Mount Carmel in 1951. These young sweethearts completed their studies together and in 1956 enrolled at Asbury College. Upon completion of their studies, they returned to the Kentucky Mountain Holiness Association as home missionaries in January, 1959, spending their entire adult lives in ministry there, first at Mount Carmel High School and Church, then at Kentucky Mountain Bible College. Dad eventually succeeded to the presidency of the KMHA and served in that role from 1981 to 2003.

Rev. Rex Bullock is a lifelong friend and minister with the Free Methodist Church. Rex told me a story of working in a conference with Dr. J.C. McPheeters, early in his ministry. He wrote: "John, I shall never forget that some years ago I preached a conference with Dr J.C. McPheeters and he told of the many years he pastored Glide Memorial. He said that for 17 years straight he had Miss McConnell come to hold revivals and preach holiness. I was stunned because I pastored in Santa Cruz, CA and knew that Glide was the #1 gay church in the U.S. at that time. Now the first openly gay bishop comes from there. What a progression."

My eighty-one year old father remembers Dr. McPheeters speaking at Kentucky Mountain Bible College during his student days. Dad has often told me the story of a spry McPheeters, age 90, water-skiing! Dad also recalls Dr. McConnell's friendship with Dr. McPheeters, remembering her having preached for him at Glide Memorial Methodist Church. 

The ripple effect of a theology that undermines Scripture, excuses sin, promotes sinful lifestyles, and celebrates a departure and redefining of holiness effects my life.  But it effects your life, too.  

Lizzie Glide was a sanctified lady. McPheeters was a holiness preacher. McConnell's holy life and influence formed me profoundly. My entire spiritual experience was formed by people whose legacy has been destroyed. But not altogether. Not if that legacy lives in you and me.

I will contend for holiness, but in spite of the sorrow and anger I feel for what has been lost, I will not be contentious. Anger and contentiousness is not winsome, attractive or appealing in preaching, teaching, and seeking to exemplify Christ's holiness. Bold, courageous and confident exposition of Scripture, relevant cultural analysis, and Biblical application to gritty real-life issues point our path forward. I will love people caught in sin's grip, and take them by the hand to lead them to Christ, His wholeness, and His holiness. I will boldly contend!

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 1:3



No comments:

Post a Comment