Tuesday, August 16, 2016

God Never Wastes Our Sorrows

II Corinthians 1:3-7 NKJV "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer. Or if we are comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation."

Father in Heaven,

Thank You for never wasting my sorrows. 

This past week I learned of a 21 year old who died from a drug overdose. I knew him. I have visited with him. I knew him when he was showing sensitivity and hunger toward You. Nihilism and darkness seized his soul. Drugs and partying were his attempts to fill the inner void. 

Sorrows.

Two years ago I learned of Cassandra's death. She had been like a daughter to Beth and me. Only 32 years old, she died of a heroin overdose, and left behind two sons.  

Sorrows and grief.

All too often, I feel responsible for the death and loss of someone I have loved when they die tragically. Hopeless. 

But You never waste our sorrows.

Empower me to bear with love and compassion the inevitability of suffering in a sin-cursed broken world. Homes are broken. Relationships are shattered. Lives are destroyed by sin. The very sins that we imagine will bring us a moment of pleasure and comfort turn to ash in our hands and slip away, leaving behind emptiness and pain. Help me to love empty, hurting people with Your love today.

Grant me courage to suffer for righteousness sake. Help me to exercise the boldness of a Spirit-filled life to speak, to engage, to love, even when truth exposes deep sin and brokenness. May I be present to strip away sin with one hand and to pour in grace with the other, just as You have done for me.

I pray that You will fill my heart with love and grace. Transform my sorrows, tribulation, suffering, and pain through Your comfort. Teach me to embrace Your comfort and then share the same with others.

Holy Spirit, You are my Comforter. You are the Breath of God. As I inhale You, Breath of God, I exhale Your comfort to the sorrowful and hurting all around me. I don't exhale empty words or meaningless comfort, but Your consolation, grounded in repentance and faith.

You are worthy. I worship You. Don't waste our sorrows today. 

In the Name of the Triune God who is every faithful,
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment