Tuesday, July 7, 2015

What's in it for me?

Matthew 19:27-30
Then Peter said to him, “We’ve given up everything to follow you. What will we get?”
Jesus replied, “I assure you that when the world is made new and the Son of Man sits upon his glorious throne, you who have been my followers will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life. But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.

Dear Jesus,

Peter's question seemed so inappropriate, yet you answered him!  "What's in it for me?" is the question of the self-centered and self-seeking.  So, if Peter could ask the question, so shall I. After all, if I am to follow You, Lord, what is to be gained?

One of the saddest sights in our cities is that of a homeless veteran begging. I see these warriors cast aside by our nation, our government, and polite society.  War heroes, once useful, are often abandoned when the conflict has settled. Not so with you.  You tell me that if I share in Your conflict and victory, I will share in your eternal reward.

You acknowledge the service and sacrifice of your followers.  Leaving behind siblings, parents, spouse, offspring, and possessions to follow You is no small sacrifice. You promise multiplied relationships in exchange for obedience to follow You. "It is always true that the Christian will receive far more than he has to give up; but what he receives is not new material possessions, but new fellowship, human and divine" (William Barclay in The Gospel of Matthew, vol. 2, p. 243).

Thank You for giving me thousands of friends. I have a phone book full of thousands. Obedience to
 You has never diminished by friendships. I think that I could travel across the country for hundreds of miles and never run out of friends to see.  And my precious fellowship with Your Church reaches even to the ends of the earth, and will last into eternity with You!

There are blessings with You that transcend the material. Surely,  You have always provided for me. However, Your spiritual, relational, and eternal blessings are forever. Thank You for Your supply of all that I need.

In the Name of my Provider Lord,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment