Saturday, July 18, 2015

"Scales" Religion

There is a dominant religion in America and throughout much of the world. I call it "scales" religion. The idea is this: if my good works outweigh my bad acts, I will make it to heaven! I am my own judge and jury. I am the one to decide if my good works are greater in number and quality than my "poor choices."

In "scales" religion, sin is never mentioned–such an ugly word, after all. Redemption is unnecessary. Salvation is ignored. Eternal punishment is a myth.

"After all, if I am the arbiter of my own eternal destiny, why would I send myself to Hell? That would be a foolish act of self-loathing. After all, I am essentially a good person!  Right?"

There is no formal day of judgment in "scales" religion. "I have no other judge apart from my own subjectivity and emotion. I am the master of my own destiny!"

The ultimate humanistic optimism in a cult of self!

Just one small problem... "Scales" religion is a myth. It’s not real. Salvation is not according to our good works. A sinless, holy Deity must become a sinless sacrifice for my sins, and for the sins of the entire world. He must come in the form of humanity, live a sinless life, die on a cruel cross, resurrect from the dead, return to the Father in heaven, send His Holy Spirit to live in transformed and surrendered human hearts, with the promise of His soon return to take His Church–His Bride–to be with Himself–the Groom–throughout all eternity.

That’s heaven.

It’s not about scales.

It’s about a Savior. And His name is Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment