Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Negative and Positive

Matthew 12:43-45. 43 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds itempty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”

William Barclay:  "The easiest Way to keep a life from sin is to fill it with holy action. To put it quite simply, the church will most easily keep her converts when she gives them Christian work to do. Our aim is not the mirror negative absence of evil action; it is the positive presence of life and work for Christ. If we are finding the temptations of evil very threatening, one of the best ways to conquer them is to forget them by plunging into activity for God and for our fellow man."

Dear God,
You have saved me by Your grace, cleansing my temple by faith through the power of the blood of my Lord Jesus Christ.  You've driven despair from me, as daylight scatters the darkness of the secret corners of a dimly lit room. You have through open the curtain of light and love to shine upon me. You have cleansed me of obstructions and uncleaness.  Thank You.

My fallen inclination is to focus my attention upon that which I must avoid.  But You teach me the holy principles of replacement. You have me fill my once sin-blighted life with holy activity.  Prayer, study of Your Word, fellowship with other believers, acts of witnessing, acts of love, acts of mercy now consume me.  You are making me a disciple.

When I encounter further unholiness within me, protect me from despair.  Drive me to Yourself with a hunger for Your holiness. Make me clean through Your blood and the power of Your Holy Spirit.

Protect me from legalistic striving that pretends to make myself holy.  Protect me from the pitfalls of pride that would deceive me into adoring my good works, thus corrupting them.  Where You have cleansed me, now fill me with all of Your fullness. Make me clean.  Make me useful.  Make me to love You and Your children as I ought.

In the Name of the One who has cleansed me of death and given me the gift of life,
Amen.


1 comment: