Friday, May 22, 2015

Kingdom Treasures

Matthew 13:44 NKJV  "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."

Dear Jesus,

What is the buried treasure for which You exhort me to dig?  You tell me that it is the treasure of the Kingdom of Heaven. Practically speaking, what does that mean?

Your parable describes a man going about his daily routine when he happens upon treasure.  He was not a treasure hunter, a dreamer, or a speculator.  He was simply an industrious, hard-working man of the earth. In the course of everyday living, faithful service reaped an unexpected reward. 

Legend ascribes this saying to You: "Raise the stone and thou shalt find me; cleave the wood and I am there" (William Barclay in The Gospel of Matthew, vol. 2, p. 95).  Grant me enduring grace to dig deeply into the pages of Your Word.  Help me to discover daily treasures, unearthed by diligent habits of personal holiness.  Grant me the spirit of resolute sacrifice, to set aside the trivial, for the pursuit of Your Kingdom.

Your Kingdom is the reign of Your perfect will. I know not when Your Kingdom will be set up on earth, but I know that I must have it in my heart.  Reign without rival or competitor in me. 

So, I dig for buried treasure.  I seek You in the common and ordinary affairs of life. I seek You in Your general revelation through Your world around me. I seek You in the pages of Holy Scripture.    I dig for treasure.  I dig for truth.  I dig to be found faithful and expectant.  I dig because I want Your Kingdom to come in me. I dig because You are my Kingdom Treasure, and I want to know You.

May Your Kingdom come and Your will be done in me,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment