Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Expand Your Borders!

Joshua 19:40-48 NKJV  40 The seventh lot came out for the tribe of the children of Dan according to their families. 41 And the territory of their inheritance was Zorah, Eshtaol, Ir Shemesh, 42 Shaalabbin, Aijalon, Jethlah, 43 Elon, Timnah, Ekron, 44 Eltekeh, Gibbethon, Baalath, 45 Jehud, Bene Berak, Gath Rimmon, 46 Me Jarkon, and Rakkon, with the region near Joppa. 47 And the border of the children of Dan went beyond these, because the children of Dan went up to fight against Leshem and took it; and they struck it with the edge of the sword, took possession of it, and dwelt in it. They called Leshem, Dan, after the name of Dan their father. 48 This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Dan according to their families, these cities with their villages.

My Lord and my God,

I want to be a man after Your own heart. A man who hears Your call and obeys. I want to obey without reluctance, hesitation, or argument. I want to accomplish the task that You put before me, by Your grace and for Your glory.

The Hebrew tribe of Dan took an ambitious and aggressive attitude toward Your call to possess their portion of the land of Canaan. Joshua apportioned their land to them and gave the mandate of conquest. The children of Dan conquered the city of Leshem, the greatest city of their promised land. Upon conquering it, they renamed the city Dan, after their forefather.

But Your Word describes a spirit among the tribesmen of Dan that went above and beyond the call of duty. “The border of the children of Dan went beyond these.” Dan’s fighting men pushed their border beyond the promised allocation. Their ambition drove them farther.

I love the spirit of the tribe of Dan. I love the attitude to excel, to do more, to achieve, to push harder and go farther. Unvarnished and selfish ambition is dangerous. Sanctified ambition is beautiful.

Lord, grant me a spirit of ambition and achievement to accept Your mandate for my life and run with it. Give me courage to expand my borders beyond the limits. Grant me strength, boldness, and enthusiasm for the task.

In the Name of my Lord Jesus,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment