Saturday, May 21, 2016

"Not my will, but Yours, be done."

Luke 22:42 "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."

Lord Jesus,

I want Your attitude in the Garden of Gethsemane to be my attitude.  You told Father, "Nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."

I remember three years ago, praying that prayer.  I was in Derwood and Regina's guest room.  It was apparent that I would be offered the position as president of Wesley Biblical Seminary.  The prospect before me was scary... challenging.  I knew it would be hard.  I prayed,  "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."

I have known my share of ease and comfort.  Learning has always come easily to me.  I knew how to do school.  I am quick.  You have given me the ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks with reasonable efficiency.  Success has blessed my life.  But a tension stretched my soul three years ago.  On the one hand, I wanted ease and comfort. On the other, I desperately needed to be challenged.  Challenge meant risk.  Embracing Your will meant I must risk potential failure.

Thank You for seeing worth in me.  Thank You for birthing a desire for Your will.  Thank You for challenging me beyond my own will to Yours.  Thank You for calling me to die to my own success, and risk failure, if need be, for Your glory. 

William Barclay wrote: "When we appeal to Christ, is it for strength to go on with our own schemes and ideas or is it for humility and obedience to accept his plans and wishes? Is our prayer: 'Lord, give me strength to do what you want me to do' or is it in reality: 'Lord, give me strength to do what I want to do'?" (In The Gospel of John, vol. 1, 1955, pp. 209-210).

I pray that I will always seek Your will, no matter how difficult and challenging it may seem to me.  Strengthen me when my disposition would shrink from the challenge.  Temper me with a steel of character.  Grant me the resolve to endure hardship, accusation, and suffering for Your Namesake.  "Lord, give me strength to do what you want me to do."

I have friends who are facing tremendous assaults from the enemy today.  They find themselves in the crosshairs of suffering, temptation, and sickness.  Grant them grace and courage to endure.  While these adversities may not be your will for their lives, they are the reality my friends face in this fallen, sin-cursed world.  

Stiffen our resolve.  Strengthen our character.  Deepen our faith.  Empower us to endure.  Make heaven sweeter.  Stir within us the singular desire to finish well, and hear You say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." 

We love You.  We need You.  We long for Your will to be done in us and through us.

In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost who draw us into Your perfect will,
Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment