Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Law of Sowing and Reaping

John 4:35-38 NKJV
35 Do you not say, ‘There are still four months andthen comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest! 36 And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. 37 For in this the saying is true: ‘One sows and another reaps.’ 38 I sent you to reap that for which you have not labored; others have labored, and you have entered into their labors.”

I Corinthians 3:5-9 KJV
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

Dear Jesus,

Thank You for the simple reminder to sow and harvest.  So common.  So ordinary.  So in tune with the calendar's rhythm of life.  

Thank You for sowing the seed of Your life.  Your sacrificial life and death upon a cross provided atonement for my sins. Your dead body was buried in a tomb, like a seed in the ground.  Through death, You resurrected.  And with Your resurrection Your church was born.

Thank You for those who have sown the seed of the Gospel into my life.  My parents, Sunday school teachers, pastors, and spiritual mentors have invested seed of grace and truth.  Some planted one or two seeds.  Others scattered broadly, cultivating, and investing time and energy in order to ensure a harvest. 

Thank You for those who have sown the seed of truth and faithfulness into the place of ministry and service I enjoy today.  I stand upon their shoulders.  The sacrifice of those who came before me is a special treasure.  When I am weak, remind me of their strength and endurance.  When I am impatient, remind me of their patience.  When I am tempted to doubt, remind me of their faith.  When I am blinded by fear, remind me of their courage.  

Help me to always remember that any harvest You grant in my life is not self-made.  You have placed a reality in all of the physical, natural, and spiritual world--a law of sowing and reaping.  May I honor Your law.  

Thank You, Lord.  I love You.  My prayer today is that I might bear fruit for Your glory.

In the Name of Jesus, the Sower and Harvester,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment