Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Tell Your Story!

William Barclay tells the following story in his Daily Study Bible on The Gospel of John (vol.1, 1955, pp. 76-77).

"There is a story which tells how, towards the end of the nineteenth century, Huxley, the great agnostic, was a member of a house-party at a country house. Sunday came round, and most of the members prepared to go to church; but, very naturally, Huxley did not propose to go. Huxley approached a man known to have a simple and radiant Christian faith.

"He said to him: 'Suppose you don't go to church today. Suppose you stay at home and you tell me quite simply what your Christian faith means to you and why you are a Christian.'

"'But,' said the man, 'you could demolish my arguments in an instant. I'm not clever enough to argue with you.'

"Huxley said gently: 'I don't want to argue with you; I just want you to tell me simply what this Christ means to you.'

"The man stayed at home and told Huxley most simply of his faith. When he had finished there were tears in the great agnostic's eyes. 'I would give my right hand,' he said, 'if only I could believe that.'"

"It was not clever argument that touched Huxley's heart. He could have dealt efficiently and devastatingly with any argument that that simple Christian was likely to have produced, but the simple presentation of Christ caught him by the heart."

My prayer is that God will give me the grace, wisdom, and courage just to tell my story of what Jesus means to me today.  I pray the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment