Saturday, September 19, 2015

Slander

Revelation 2:8-11 NKJV
“And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write, ‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life: 9 “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
11 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”’

Dear Jesus,

The early church was willing to suffer slander for Your name.  I don't like it when people speak evil against me.  But if I am to be truly Christian, must I not be Christian enough to endure criticism and slander from those who hate You?

The early church often suffered for Your Name.  William Barclay listed six prejudicial slurs that were often repeated against the church.  First, the Christians were accused of cannibalism because of their participation in the Lord's Supper:  the bread and wine being emblematic of the body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.   Second, the Christians were slandered for the celebration of love feasts, in which they broke bread and fed one another, expressing genuine love and appreciation.  The slanderers accused Christians of hosting sex orgies.  Third, the church was accused of breaking up families, because families of origin sometimes disowned converts to Christ.  Fourth, pagans slandered Christians as atheists because Christians did not use the familiar images and symbols of the gods. Fifth, Christian refusal to worship Caesar garnered the accusation that they were politically disloyal insurgents and revolutionaries, threats against the Roman empire.  Sixth, Christian apocalyptic teaching that the earth would be burned up in a great conflagration made it easy to accuse believers of arson.  (In The Revelation of John, vol. 1, 1959, p. 98).

Grant me courage to suffer slander for Your Name!

My friends at the American Family Association love You enough to stand for truth, speak for truth, and endure accusations by the Southern Poverty Law Center of being a "hate group."  

My friend Everett Piper, president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University, has just removed his university from membership in the Christian Coalition of Colleges and Universities. He did so because two member institutions announcements that they would violate God's Word in the celebration of sodomy. The coalition was mute in its response. Dr. Piper would not be mute. He must speak for Your Truth, even if it meant suffering slander.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer said: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Lord, I can own You with my words, my silence, and my actions. I can deny You similarly. I choose to own You, even if I become the target of cruel lies and slander. If I am to follow Jesus, I should expect such. Others far greater than I have had to endure the same.

In the Name of the God of Truth, my Protector and Shield,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment