Friday, June 5, 2015

Nothing's Perfect... Or is it?


Ecclesiastes 3:11 NKJV  He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.

Psalm 37:1-8 NKJV Do not fret because of evildoers, Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.
2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, And wither as the green herb.
3 Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass.
6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, And your justice as the noonday.
7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret—it only causes harm.

Heavenly Father,
 I live in a disappointing world.  A tragically fallen world.  I find myself striving to make things perfect.  I analyze.  I plan.  I work.  I assess.  I try so hard.  I fall so short.

Auto manufacturers try to make better cars, but some folks end up with lemons.  Software engineers try to make better computer operating systems, but they still have glitches and crash.  Recalls, patches, updates, repairs. Clothes wear out.  Fuel is consumed.  Cars rust.  Toys break. Landfills are crammed full. Nothing's perfect.

I remember when I was a boy and I dreamed up modifications I would make to my first car.  Dad commented, "And when you have done all of that, do you know what you have?"

"No."

"An old car.  You have put a lot of money into an old car that you will never be able to get out of it...  Son, everything is on the road to the junk heap."

Nothing's perfect.

But something within me strives for perfection.  Something within me strives for durability.  I dream. I hope. I long to invest myself and my resources in something that will endure--something that will last. 

At work we plan, enact, and assess in a never-ending quest for perfection.  We train at workshops and conferences.  Auditors, consultants, evaluators, and quality control officers assess our every move to insure that we are in compliance. 

Oh God, You have given me a craving for perfection, but I never find it!  I am on an endless treadmill of striving without attaining.  I don't have perfect relationships.  I don't have a perfect job. I don't have a perfect house, car, children, or colleagues.  I cannot squeeze my fist of control tightly enough around my little world to make it perfect.  All the while, a voice within me demands that I just try harder, do better, control the variables, and strive for perfection.

Nothing's perfect.

Then I hear Your words speak to me that You have created every human being with a longing for perfection.  This longing, however twisted and distorted by my sinful, fallen psychology, was birthed by You.  The corresponding reality is that my heart's longing for perfection can only be satisfied in right relationship with You!  You are the One who has written eternity on my heart! 

I flee to You!  Embrace me in Your perfect love.  I surrender all of my rights, my control, my needs, demands, relationships, hopes and dreams to You.  Embrace me.  Cleanse me from self-centered striving in a quest to be good enough for You.  Teach me to rest in faith in Your embrace.  Teach me to strive not for perfection of performance, but to know You.  Help me to rest in the reality that I have given You my surrendered, sanctified best.

You have written eternity on my heart.  Your image of Yourself, Creator God, however marred by our fallen depravity still peeks out from the shadows of our sinful lives, an ever-present reminder that You made us.  You want to know me!  You draw me to Yourself through desires You planted in my heart in Creation.  Draw me into Your perfect love.  Perfect me in You.

In the Name of my Creator God who made me, knows me, and still loves me,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment