Saturday, June 20, 2015

Father

Psalm 27, 68:5, 103,

My Loving Heavenly Father,

Thank You for being my Abba–my Papa.  I love You, Father God.

Thank You for my earthly father who loves You.  Dad’s holy, Godly example inspires me.  His greatness challenges me.  Moments of conversation, a prayer of blessing at the family table, an exhortation from his lips... each shapes me and molds me.

My earthly father shaped me in conception.  You formed me in my mother’s womb.  My dad distinguished me with his physical features.  You distinguished me with the image of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit–the Triune God.  My earthly father marked me in my physical genetics.  You marked me with a hunger for You.  My earthly father has dreams for the potential that is within my life.  You know Your plan for me.  My earthly father disciplined me to make me good.  You discipline me to make me holy.  My earthly father gave me direction.  You guide me with Your eye.  My dad counseled me with wisdom.  You are my Wonderful Counselor.

Thank You for the gift of my earthly father.  He is the godliest, holiest, finest man I know.  I want to be like him, because he wants to be like You.

But not everyone is blessed with a good earthly father.  Fatherlessness has scourged the lives of many, leaving open wounds that cause them to question identity, worth, and value.  Neglect and abuse have dominated the landscape of fatherhood.  A crisis of masculinity has jeopardized marriage, family, and our very ability to perceive You–our Heavenly Father.

Comfort the fatherless.  Illegitimacy, desertion, and family brokenness have left children without the protection and care of an earthly father. “Father” has become a dirty word represented by a blank expression, emptiness, absence, and loss.  Emotions of anger and apathy have supplanted genuine respect and honor toward fathers.  Comfort the fatherless.

Challenge men to be Godly fathers.  Raise up a generation of men who will be more than “baby daddys.”  Anger defines too many men.  Honest, honorable emotional connection of fatherly love seem foreign to their role.  Establish men who model fatherhood after You.

Construct faith in You by raising up a generation of men who are esteemed because they are good fathers. May children bless their dads for their fidelity, integrity, honor, and love of family. Empower fathers to be role models who point their children to You, our Heavenly Father.

Thank You Father,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment