Sunday, March 1, 2015

Saints or Sinner?

Hebrews 11

Dear God,

So You keep asking me a hard question: “Do you want to be a saint or a sinner?”  I think that the right answer is that “I want to be a saint.”  But isn’t that for the dead?  To be a saint means to be holy. To be a saint has an overtone of perfection.  That’s scary to me.  I am reluctant to make such an audacious profession.  I live in a world where people spout platitudes like “I’m not perfect, just forgiven!”  Sainthood seems to be an unreachable goal to which few Christians even aspire.  I’m not even sure that I should aspire to such.

Many of the saints described in Scripture are the resurrected ones in Hebrews or in Saint John’s Revelation.  These people have already died, only to be resurrected with Christ.  I can understand that they are saints.  They have fought the fight, won the battle, and received their eternal reward.  They are saints.  The only way that I can achieve that kind of sainthood is by dying!

But as I read the Bible, I see another type of saint described.  These saints are still alive!  Paul addresses the saints at Ephesus, Philippi, Colosse, Thessalonica, Achaia, and even Rome.  He recognizes that real people like us can be saints in this life!  Astounding!

Based upon the talk I hear from a lot of my Christian brothers and sisters, most appear more interested in being sinners not saints.  “We’re sinners, saved by Grace.”  “I sin every day in thought, word, and deed.”  Such insistence seems to oppose what You tell me in Your Word!  Most of the preachers I hear and churches that I attend describe a Christian life still bound by habitual sins.  I hear Your Church defending sin as the daily, essential norm of the Christian life!

Then I hear Your difficult question, “Do you want to be a sinner or a saint?”  Honestly, I don’t want to be a sinner.  I want to be a saint.  But even that confession scares me.

What’s that?  If I want to become a saint, I’d better cultivate an ambition, lifestyle, and language of sainthood.  I’d better start defending and promoting sainthood rather than protecting a sinning Christianity.  What are You saying?  Are you saying that the line of demarcation is clear?  I am either a sinner or a saint?  I thought a saint had to be a spiritual super hero!  Am I wrong?  Are You saying that sainthood is Your norm for a believer?

Well, then, what does it mean to be a saint?  A holy one, yes.  That is pretty straightforward.  I don’t think I qualify, but if that is what You want for me, if holiness is Your norm for my Christian experience, teach me.  Guide me into truth.  I embrace the journey into Your holiness.  Make me a saint for You.  Make me holy.

In the Name of my Holy Father, Son and Spirit, whom I want to be like,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment