Friday, September 29, 2017

Yokes

Matthew 11:28-30
II Chronicles 10:1-14

Dear Father, 

Burdens are heavy to carry. I find myself frequently exhausted under the load. I watch people who work in warehouses and those who stock shelves, and see their back braces and support. They are taught how to lift burdens and carry loads in order to avoid injury.

The load which you call me to bear is heavy. I confess that I do not know how to carry it on my own. I can’t do it. To my desperation You cry out, “Let me help you.“

Your tender welcome insists: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

I stretch out my hands to You, one laid up on the other in the form of a cross, as if I am to receive the Lord’s supper. You offer a yoke that I am to receive in worship and thanksgiving. You have a job for me to do. It is too heavy for me alone. You promise to be my yoke fellow—to carry the burden with me. After all, You tell me that my yoke is really Your yoke. 

You say, “Come.” I hear your welcome. The burdens insist, “Go.” They are too heavy for me alone. Life insists that the weight of my burden is not enough. Burden piles upon burden, seeking to immobilize me. The world screams, “More. Work harder. Work longer. More.” Like King Rehoboam of old, the world insists, “You think the burden was heavy before? I will double it.”

You gently step in beside me, positioning my yoke so that it will not chafe. “Here, let me teach you how to bear the load.” And You step into the yoke with me. We step forward, one plodding step at a time. The pace soon becomes even, the load shared, the burden seems lighter, the movement is forward. 

Thank you for being my yokefellow. Thank You for bearing the burden with me. I cannot do it alone. 

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment