Monday, September 19, 2016

Breaking Wild

Dear God,

Tame any residual wildness from my soul--that wildness that seeks to break the traces, release the harness, shed control, and demand rebellious autonomy.

Alan Nelson describes the human soul. "The soul of a person, in its early and natural state, is wildly undisciplined. Whether it aggressively rebels against God's harnessing like a bucking bronco, or passive-aggressively resists guiding like an old, stubborn mule, the human spirit resents the influence of God's Spirit."

Discipline me to make me useful. Break any wildness from my character. Purge me of any residue of rebellion, any resistance to Your restraint, and any reluctance to your redirection of my pursuits.

"An unbroken person refuses to accept difficult challenges and questions unexplained events with frustration. This poor soul seeks success and achievement, but, a master of himself, risks depression, disillusionment, failure, and suicide in order to 'do it myself.' This same person fights reliance on God in an effort to go 'my own way.'"

Nelson says that "the world has little use for a wild, unbroken soul. An unbroken soul is primarily a consumer." The unbroken soul reveals itself in embarrassing ways. On the extreme of society, entertainers pride themselves on their lack of restraint, revealing clothing, and outlandish behaviors. All too soon they have consumed all of life they can use, and the shallow shells of humanity they have celebrated drift into self-shattered oblivion. Unbroken souls. But unbroken souls within the majority can be just as consumptive and destructive.

But if I allow You to break me, the fellowship, the intimacy, the bond of love between Master and broken will be intimate, warm, deep, and lasting. You introduce me to a relationship of trust that helps me to become what You have created me to be. When You break me in the right place, I can reach the potential that You have planned. Teleios. Complete. Perfect. Mature. Able to fulfill the Creator's intended purpose.

Break me. Shape me. Mold me. Make me.

Any willful wildness must be broken. Win my heart with Your goodness. Win my trust with Your love. Whisper hope and potential in my ear. Train me. Make me compliant. Make me useful. Chanel my energy toward productivity and success, as You define both for my life.

I love You. I trust You. I submit to Your love. I am Your broken child.

In the Master's Name,
Amen.

Quotes from Alan Nelson (2002) Embracing Brokenness, Colorado Springs: NavPress, pp. 18-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment