Tuesday, May 31, 2016

But, I Want it Now!

John 7:1-9
After these things Jesus moved about in Galilee, for he did not wish to move about in Judaea, because the Jews were out to kill him. The festival of the Jews which is called the Festival of Tabernacles was near. So his brothers said to him: "Leave here and go down to Jerusalem so that your disciples will get the chance to see the works that you do. For no one goes on doing things in secret, when he wishes to draw public attention to himself. Since you can do these things, show yourself to the world." For even his brothers did not believe in him. So Jesus said to them: "The time of opportunity that I am looking for has not yet come; but your time is always ready. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me, because I bear witness about it that its deeds are evil. Go up to the festival yourselves. I am not yet going up to the festival, because my time has not yet come." When he had said these things to them he remained in Galilee.

Dear Jesus,

You made me with an internal clock that insists "NOW!" Some folks procrastinate for tomorrow. Others gaze into a rearview mirror of yesterday. You made me to live in a moment, see what needs to be done, and do it. As such, I am terrified of procrastination. I avoid "last-minute" and lateness by working ahead. If I see a problem, I work to fix it immediately.

But some things cannot be handled "now." You were faced with an invitation to go to Jerusalem with Your disciples, and responded that the time was not yet right. When You showed up a couple of days late, You arrived right on time.

William Barclay: "Jesus does things, not in man's time, but in God's time. The impatience of man must learn to wait on the wisdom of God. The world goes to God's timetable, not to ours" (In The Gospel of John, vol. 1, 1955, p. 241).

You seem intent upon teaching me this reality. You have a timetable. I cannot know Your timing. Your timing often seems like delay to me, until I have the vantage of hindsight. Then I can often see the miraculous ways in which You were orchestrating people and events to accomplish Your purpose.

Teach me to pray in the midst of delay. Help me to learn the lesson of trusting as I wait upon You. Encourage me to endure in faith. Teach me to walk by faith, not by sight.

Work Your character into my life in the drama of delay. I want to be like You. Make me more Christlike. Then sear these lessons of truth upon my mind and heart so that I don't have to wrestle repeatedly through such seasons of impatient mistrust and doubt.

I love You and I need You.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment