Thursday, March 3, 2016

"Even so, Lord Jesus, come quickly!"

Luke 21:5-37

Dear Jesus,

I had an interesting conversation yesterday by the coffee pot.  A couple of colleagues were in earnest exchange about Your soon return when I approached.

I enjoyed embracing the discussion.  But as I consider the topic now in prayer, I realize that I often have faced the subject of Your return as a theory to be proved or disproved.  I have become frustrated with those who are certain of their expectations and theories as to the precise timing and sequence of last things.  I think that I should rather consider Your return as an expectant and anticipated reality.  I want to live with a hope of Your return!

"The Christian conception of history is that it has a goal and, at that goal, Jesus Christ will be Lord of all.  That is all we know, and all we need to know... The Christian must never come tho think that he is living in a permanent situation.  He must be a man who lives in a permanent state of expectation... We must live forever in the shadow of eternity, in the certainty that we are men who are fitting or unfitting themselves to appear in the presence of God.  There can be nothing so thrilling as the Christian life" (William Barclay in The Gospel of Luke, 1953, p. 272).

Protect me from a misguided attempt to control You through speculation and theorizing about details of Your return that You have intentionally onscurred.  Check me when my God-given motivation for order and prediction reaches beyond the ordered or the controllable, and attempts to manipulate You into my will, rather than submitting to Yours.

Help me to long for Your return as the Early Church did.  Help me to look expectantly for You.  All the while, help me to engage the reality of this life with the vigor, passion, gusto, planning, and doing that makes life on earth productive, meaningful, and fulfilling.  Help me to live out the purpose for which You placed me here.

"Even so, Lord Jesus, come quickly."

In the Name of my soon returning Lord,
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment