Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Give Until it Feels Good!

Luke 21:1-4 NKJV
And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.”

II Corinthians 9:7 NKJV
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

Dear Jesus,

I can imagine your standing there in the Court of the Women.  You saw a widow woman approach the Trumpets, the 13 collection boxes stationed there.  Each worshiper who came by the Trumpets cast their offering with a clatter.  But when the widow dropped her two thin coins, they made barely a sound. 

So much of Your Kingdom work has been accomplished by the widow's mite.  I know this woman.  She lives in Brooklyn, New York and in Cruger, Mississippi.  She lives on Social Security in a rented apartment or a family home.  She has little, but she gives with generosity.

"The only real gift is the gift which is the inevitable outflow of the loving heart, the gift which is given because the giver cannot help giving it!" (William Barclay, in The Gospel of Luke, 1953, p. 266).

Help me to give not to be noticed, honored, or recognized, but out of a heart of worship to you.  Help me to give not for the clatter of heads swiveling to see what the ruckus is all about, but as an act of love and worship to you.

The sacrifice of worship was a feature of the burnt offerings of the temple.  I often think in terms of sacrificial giving.  Some people tell me, "Give until it hurts."  I suppose I understand the truth of that admonishment in the broader context of sacrifice.  But You seem to want me to get past the hurt, and give until it feels better!  "For God loves a cheerful giver."

So I worship.  I give.  I love You.
Amen.

It’s the Thought that Counts
by
Dr. John E. Neihof, Jr. 
9-24-2007

She put in a penny. It was all she had.
She gave the biggest gift; that’s what Jesus said.
The poorest of the poor, she gave what she could,
An example to us, to give what we should.

My wealth is small, my gifts aren’t great.
I can’t do much, and the time is late.
Can you use me Lord in any way?
Here’s my little gift for you today.

I want to give from my heart.
I want to please the Lord as I give my part.
I will give for eternity,
Precious souls to lay at His feet.

It’s the thought that counts! A gift from the heart.
It’s the thought that counts! I’ll do my part.
It’s the thought that counts! I’ll give my all.
It’s the thought that counts! No matter how small.

No comments:

Post a Comment