Sunday, February 8, 2015

Exploited

Isaiah 53, 61, Romans 8:28

Lord Jesus,

I am crushed, broken, hurting.  Life has left me damaged.  I feel stained, disposable, consumable, tainted, used... trash.

My soul is so full of pain that I cannot stuff any more inside... but I try.  Every direction I turn, I feel exploited.  Purported purveyors of peace prevail upon me, masquerading as trusted counselors and guides, only to shed their masks, revealing their exploitative identity.  I don’t know whom to trust.  I don’t even know how to trust. Hope has been stripped from me, leaving my soul naked and exposed.

My body has been a plaything for the exploitation of others.  My mind has been twisted and toyed with by abusers.  My emotions have been manipulated and marred by cruelty, ridicule, and control. My ears have endured the harsh harangues that have recorded their words in the distorted memory of my identity.

Hesitatingly, I turn to You.  Can I trust You?  Are You the God of the oppressed?  Are You the God of the broken-hearted?  Are You the God of the wounded, and the hurting?  Do You understand me?

Holy Father, You love and determine good for me.  I don’t blame You.  Sin is evil, irrational rebellion.  You are not the Author of iniquity.  You don’t prevent everything that is bad from happening in a sin-cursed, fallen world.  Such is the nature of the curse of the Fall and humanity’s free will.

Holy Spirit, You are the Comforter.  You walk alongside me, live within me, comforting, cleansing, imbuing me with hope.

Jesus, Son of God, You are the Savior of the exploited.  Your suffering, beatings, crucifixion,  death, resurrection, and ascension to the Father, make You the God of empathy and compassion with people like me.  I look to You on the cross.  Your understanding eyes connect with mine.  I grieve over Your suffering and death.  I know what some of Your pain looks like.  I realize that You suffered anguish for me that I might be free.  Accept my limited empathy as an act of worship. Transform my suffering into thanksgiving and worship to You.  Thank You for voluntarily leaving the glories of heaven, coming to earth, living a sinless life, and suffering and dying for the sins of the whole world–mine, too.  Thank You for being my Suffering Savior.

With hope for healing and grace in the power of Your Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment