Monday, February 2, 2015

Creation

Psalm 8, Matthew 11:25

Almighty God!

I just watched a breathtaking sunset.  It filled my mind with awe and wonder at who You are.  I am astonished by Your miraculous gift of beauty as You paint the sky with Your brush of love and grace. Thank You for filling the earth with stunning sights.  Your glory surpasses and transcends all the glory, majesty, and pomp that any earthly leader could ever muster.  The glory of earth is fleeting. Your glory is eternal.

I hold a newborn baby in my arms.  The simple cries of the infant extol Your praise.  Wicked leaders would diminish Your Name and Your glory.  They would lift themselves up in pride and arrogance, challenging Your dominion and rule.  Then a baby opens its mouth to cry, and we are reminded who really deserves glory, praise, and honor.  The simple apologetic of a nursing infant at its mother’s breast is a refutation of the strongest argument of the atheist, and a testimony to You, Creator God, and Your incredible design.

Infinity stretches beyond my ability to see or understand.  The extensive expanse of Your heavenly Creation, the celestial order, defies the logic and explanation of scholars and theologians.  I embrace the truth that You are Creator God.  All things are under Your dominion.

Created in holiness, innocent in origin, then marred by the Fall, yet humanity is Your crowning creative achievement.  We grapple, grasp and grope for a bit of significance and meaning in this sin-cursed world which we have polluted.  Yet, You see hope and purpose in us.  You see significance. You see potential.  You gave Your Son to die for our sins and provide a redemptive plan that our potential might be realized through Your great salvation.  I am dumbfounded by Your love, hope, mercy, and intention that sees any hope in sinful humanity, including me.  I fall on my face in brokenness and wonder.

The optimism of Your grace toward me defies my logic.  I struggle with pessimism toward Your Creation.  I criticize, complain, and judge others–no less made by You than I!  Your tender love reminds me that they, too, are Your children.  You beckon me to love them as You do.

And then You call on broken humanity to govern and care for Your Creation.  Tragically, failure has marked much of our effort.  Greed, profit, and materialism have motivated us to rape, exploit, scar, and destroy the landscape of Your globe, humanity, and even animals.  In spite of all of our failures, Your Name is excellent!  Thank You for Your gifts and grace!  Help us to be good stewards of Your investment in us.

In the Name of the Creator God,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment