Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Get Your Eyes Off Others

Isaiah 5:20-23 
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
And prudent in their own sight!
22 Woe to men mighty at drinking wine,
Woe to men valiant for mixing intoxicating drink,
23 Who justify the wicked for a bribe,
And take away justice from the righteous man!

Isaiah 6:1-5
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. 2 Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one cried to another and said:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
The whole earth is full of His glory!”
4 And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke.
5 So I said:
“Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The Lord of hosts.”

Dear God,

I acknowledge my harshness toward others. I see their failures and judge them as sinful. All too often, I am unwilling to submit to Your examination and await Your pronouncement of me.

Isaiah pronounced judgments on everyone else. But when he saw You he cried out, "Woe is me." After his encounter with You, Your prophet was forever transformed. 

Change me. Shape me. Remake me in Your image. 

Pronounce whatever "woes" You need to pronounce over me. Just don't leave me in my woeful condition. I want to know You, be like You, and live in relationship with You. I want to hear You send me forth to do Your bidding. "Go!" 

You did it for Isaiah. Do it for me. I get my eyes off others. I look to You.

In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment