Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Prayer for Anointing

Zecharaiah 4:6-10 NKJV
6 “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the Lord of hosts.
7 ‘Who are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain! And he shall bring forth the capstone With shouts of “Grace, grace to it!”’”
8 Moreover the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; His hands shall also finish it. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent Me to you.
10 For who has despised the day of small things? For these seven rejoice to see The plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel. They are the eyes of the Lord, Which scan to and fro throughout the whole earth.”

Dear God,

It is You who anoints and blesses, not I.  It is You who accomplishes anything of eternal worth and value, not I.  It is You who saves the lost, not I.  It is You who sanctifies believers, not I.  It is You who calls the called, not I. 

I confess my utter trust in You for You to be God, not I.  I love You.  I worship You.  I seek You.  I humble myself in Your Presence, deeply aware of my need of You.  Left to my own devices, by best performance is "filthy rags."  Cleansed and made holy by Your Holy Spirit, You use my hands, my feet, my mind, my body, my lips for Your glory. 

"Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee" (F. R. Havergal). 

If You accomplish anything of eternal value through me it will be because You proclaim:  "Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit."  I rest in that reality. 

If anything good is accomplished through my life, witness, and work (and I pray that it is), it will be because of Your Presence filling and consuming me with Your power.  I feel as if the impact of my life has been small.  Help me to be so crucified with Christ and consumed by the Spirit that You can trust my life to have greater impact for Your glory.  Accordingly, help me not to despise small things, if that is to be the measure of my life and impact. 

I often remind You that any glory is Yours.  I don't need credit.  I don't need recognition.  But Jesus needs glory.  That reality is freeing to me.  Because if I am not seeking credit, recognition, or acclaim, the responsibility for success is not mine either.  The responsibility is Yours, and the glory is Yours!  I find comfort in that reality.  Thank You.

So, fill me afresh with Your Holy Spirit.  Anoint me with the anointing of the Holy One.  Lift me beyond myself, beyond my abilities, beyond my disabilities, into the real of the Spirit.  Empower me to accomplish Your will today.

In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment