Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Follow

Matthew 10:16-22

My Lord,

You invite me to follow You.  You declare that You are the Good Shepherd, and I can follow You in a life of joy, service, and purpose.  Then You tell me that if I am to follow You, You must send me to serve and even suffer.

I have always been amazed at the attraction which some find in hardship.  When the United States was attacked on 9-11, volunteers sacrificed selflessly to serve the hurting, the grieving, and the distraught.  When national leaders extended the call to military service and sacrifice, no conscription was needed to press soldiers to serve.  Volunteers patriotically stepped forward from every conceivable background.

Giuseppe Garibaldi, the nineteenth century Italian nationalist and military leader, called his countrymen to battle for Italy:  "Soldiers, all our efforts against superior forces have been unavailing.  I have nothing to offer you but hunger and thirst, hardship and death; but I call on all who love their country to join with me."  National patriots flocked to Garibaldi's leadership. 

John Wesley said:  "Give me one hundred men who love nothing but God and fear nothing but sin and I will move the world!"

My Lord and my God, I purpose to follow You with that type of intention and focus.  You offered Your followers the prospect of persecution by the state, the church, and even their own families.  The stakes have not changed in two thousand years.  Grant me the courage to follow You today, regardless the consequence.

In the Name of my ever-leading Lord whom I follow,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment