Monday, March 27, 2017

Burning Bridges

Hebrews 11: 1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Precious Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,

I am utterly dependent upon You. You have called me to the faith life. I have answered with obedience. Life with You has proved safe and dangerous, protected and risky--simultaneously. You have shown me incredible miracles of answered prayer.

Some would call my faith life reckless. They would push me toward a dependence upon material safety that defies faith. That safety is defined by words like "sustainability" and "security."  I recognize within me a desire for safety. That desire for safety wants to see. It would seem to defy the very faith life to which You have called me. Temptation draws me to measure success with things I can count. That safety would place my trust in money and material things rather than You. I am tempted from the faith life to the sight life. I am tempted to look for loopholes that appear more secure. I am tempted to build bridges of retreat.

A.W. Tozer wrote: "The man of pseudo faith will fight for his verbal creed but refuse flatly to allow himself to get into a predicament where his future must depend on that creed being true. He always provides himself with secondary ways of escape so he will have a way out if the roof caves in."

I don't know how to live this life of faith as I ought. My creed calls me to faith. But I find myself repeatedly attempting to construct safety nets and escape routes if faith fails! Incredulously, I profess surrender to the faith life, but all too often, You prick my conscience that I am living by sight, not faith. The Apostle Paul reminds us "
For we walk by faith, not by sight" (II Corinthians 5:7). 


Paul Chilcote prayed: "Give me enough to provide for myself and my family, but save me from the temptation to think I need more. Help me to realize how easily I  can be led astray by worldly riches and how quickly they can take over my heart. It is very easy, indeed, for my possessions to own me, and for me to lose track of my most important love." (Praying in the Wesleyan Spirit, p. 89).

Help me to be a responsible leader. Birth vision and direction in the faith life, not apart from it. Professional criteria demand strategic plans, operational plans, budgets, fundraising goals, marketing efforts, and the energy and industry to carry them out. Birth these in the faith life. Keep me filled with Your Holy Spirit. Empower me to lead from a heart and mind filled with faith in You.  

I burn bridges of retreat. I abandon backup plans. I cast myself utterly upon You. The faith life is my life. You are my life.

In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost,
Amen. 

Every Bridge is Burned Behind Me
Johnson Oatman (1898)

Since I started out to find Thee,
Since I to the cross did flee, 
Every bridge is burned behind me; 
I will never turn from Thee. 

Thou didst hear my plea so kindly;
Thou didst grant me so much grace, 
Every bridge is burned behind me; 
I will ne’er my steps retrace. 

Cares of life perplex and grind me,
Yet I keep the narrow way. 
Every bridge is burned behind me; 
I from Thee will never stray. 

All in All I ever find Thee,
Savior, Lover, Brother, Friend, 
Every bridge is burned behind me; 
I will serve Thee to the end. 

Refrain

Strengthen all the ties that bind me
Closer, closer, Lord to Thee,
Every bridge is burned behind me; 
Thine I evermore will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment