Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Defending Jesus

Matthew 10:32-33 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven."

Dear Jesus,

I often ask You for courage to stand for You against the aggressive sinful agenda of our culture. I want to be like You. Even in standing, I want a Christ-like spirit. Thank You for hearing my prayer.

William Barclay wrote: "Often a man finds himself in a situation in which he would like to defend Jesus and in which he knows he ought to show his colours. Often he makes a kind of half-hearted defence, and is then reduced to an uncomfortable and ashamed silence. In our defence of Jesus Christ it is better to be reckless with our hearts than prudent with our heads. To stand up for him may bring us mockery and unpopularity; it may even mean hardship and sacrifice. But the fact remains that Jesus said he would confess before his Father the man who confessed him on earth, and deny before his Father the man who denied him on earth. Loyalty to Christ may produce a cross on earth, but it brings a crown in eternity" (In The Gospel of John, vol. 1, 1955, pp. 267-268).

On one level, I suppose that You need no defense. You stand alone as truth. On another level, our living testimony of Your transforming Presence in our lives is essential if Your work is to abide and advance in our lives.

I can acknowledge and identify with You through my words, actions, and silence. In the same three ways, I can just as easily deny You... words, actions, or silence. Help me to acknowledge You today. Empower me to own You, Jesus Christ publicly and privately as my Lord and Savior.

Rebuke me when I would resort to silent shame and embarrassment over You.  Urge me past my tentative defense of Your Name. Prompt me to demonstrate my love for You with reckless abandon. Then grant me courage to endure the hardship and suffering that are guaranteed to come.  Empower me to live for Your acknowledgement.  May You own me in the life to come, as I seek to own You in this life.

I confess You as Lord with words, silence, and action, ever listening to Your prompts and checks. I will witness for You today.

In the Name of Jesus, the Son of God, my Savior and Lord, 
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment