Saturday, January 2, 2016

A GIFT FOR A KING

“In the early days eastern tradition said that there were twelve of them. But now the tradition that there were three of them is almost universal. The New Testament does not say that there were three, but the idea that there were three of them no doubt arose from the threefold gift which they brought. Later legend made them kings. And still later legend gave them names, Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar. Still later legend assigned to each a personal description, and distinguished the gift which each of them gave to Jesus. Melchior was an old man, grey haired, and with a long beard, and it was he who brought the gift of gold. Caspar was young and beardless, and ruddy in countenance, and it was he who brought the gift of frankincense. Balthasar was swarthy, with the beard newly grown upon him, and it was he who brought the gift of myrrh.” William Barclay, The Gospel of Matthew, vol. 1, p. 22.

Matthew 2:9-12 9 When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. 11 And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
12 Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.

My Loving Lord,
I want to give You a suitable gift this Christmas.  The practice of giving gifts to the Christ child began at the manger with the gift of worship.  Shepherds bowed in humble adoration before the infant King.  Perhaps they gave modest gifts of their pastoral lives to Your mother, Your father, and to You: sheep, blankets, clothing, milk, or cheese.

Then came the Magi from the East.  They came bearing elegant gifts for the Christ child: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  These Magi were seekers.  They were seeking truth.  They were seeking You. They were seeking Your revelation.  Apparently, the Magi were a tribal group of Medes within the kingdom of Persia.  They served as advisors, priests, and counselors to the king, studying science, medicine, natural science, astrology, and religion.

Seeing His star rising, the Magi sought the infant king who was born.  Expectation propelled them forward.  The trek from Babylon to Bethlehem ranged anywhere from 500 to 900 miles.  All the while, the Magi followed the star they had seen rising–perhaps Halley’s comet (11 B.C.), a conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter (7 B.C.), or some other astronomical display.

Finding you in the house in Bethlehem, they presented their three-fold gift.  Gold is the premier metal fit for a king.  You are King of kings and Lord of lords!  Frankincense is a gift for a priest to use in temple incense and worship.  You are the priest who bridges the vast gap between God and man.  As incense ascends above, Your intercession ascends to the Father for all of humanity.  You make it possible for me to come to the Father.  Thank You.  Myrrh is a gift to anoint a dead body for burial. The gift of myrrh reminds me that You were born to die.  A cross shadowed Your life from birth. You came to give Your life as an atoning sacrifice, the Lamb of God, for the sins of the whole world.

The common gifts of the shepherds call me to give the ordinary, day to day, part of my life to You. The Magi’s gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh call me to surrender, worship, and sacrifice.  Lord Jesus, make my heart Your royal throne from which You rule my life with love.  I  surrender to Your Kingship--Your Lordship.  I worship You with praise and thanksgiving.  Make my life a pleasing and perpetual aroma of sacrifice to You.  From Your cradle, You call me to a cross.  You call me to lose myself in You, take up my cross, and follow You.  The looming specter of the cross overshadowed Your life, and overshadows mine.  I choose to identify with You in dying to my sin and myself, so that I may be enveloped in Your love and purpose for my life.  Thank You for the privilege of giving You a gift this Christmas season.  Thank You for accepting my simple gift of myself as inspired by gold, frankincense and myrrh.

In the Name of my loving Lord,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment